15.7.10

well seasoned


After my visit to the Hatch Show Print Company in Nashville, I decided to try my hand at a wood type broadside. Luckily, the very talented and crafty Sara was just as game and we immediately registered for the Vintage Poster class at Studio on the Square

Around the same time, I was busy in the kitchen perfecting my saffron bread recipe- hoping to meet the high standard set by my Mother each Christmas. Each trial batch brought me instantly back to the December memory of breaking saffron bread with my family in Swedish tradition. I was struck by how the scent of a familiar spice can be a vehicle for potent memories. So grew the inspiration for my first broadside project: a triptych of three classic spices- Ginger, Saffron, and Paprika- in their respective vibrant hues.
 
Note: These definitions were taken from the beautiful pages of one of my most trusted cooking bibles, I Know How To Cook by Ginette Mathiot.

No comments: